The Black Sea and the Eastern Mediterranean (BSEM) is the theatre of our history and the platform for our common future.
An oxymoron intensifies in our time: the scientific and technological breakthroughs along with the arising opportunities for a progressive collaboration among the people of the region are being denied in the frame of the global systemic crisis and the dangerous socioeconomic and (thereby) political deterioration in the BSEM. The regressive assaults against the free expression of arts, culture, science and journalism are a side effect.
Following a respective preparatory period, in the “Workshop on the Establishment of a Black Sea and Eastern Mediterranean Academic Network” that was hosted in Rostov on Don on the 7th October 2018, participators appointed a “task force” consisting of academicians from the whole region to prepare proposals on the content of our initiative and to organize the Founding Conference on the 26th of May 2018 in Thessaloniki.
The present document is the record of the founding act and constitutes a multilateral agreement of the participating institutions, serving as the statute of the established Network. Specifically it determines the recognized aims and the ways how to achieve them, the seats and the website, the details respective membership and finally the operation of BSEMAN.
Aims and basic activities
The realization of the above defined strategic goal of our Network succeeds through the pursuit for the following aims:
- develop and realize common research projects in the whole range of scientific disciplines, oriented in global and regional issues such as water supply, energy, environment, Green Economy and Blue Growth, security and safety issues, countering the legalization of criminal profits as well as the financing of vicious, inhuman activities etc.;
- sustain a network of combining the libraries and data resources of the participating institutions, as well as new, supranational, big data-bases;
- issue periodicals and organize scientific workshops and conferences, as well as events that will bring together academicians, cultural and business communities of the BSEM;
- develop the educational cooperation in all tiers of higher education, also in vocational training and lifelong learning, utilizing the existing exchange schemes and distanced learning possibilities;
- accomplish social interventions as well as jointly undertaking activities in cultural issues; Innovation, start-ups and entrepreneurial development and
- realize initiatives that bring together the youth in the region, culturally, academically and also vocationally.